NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Void where prohibited by law and outside the United States. Subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances. Contest begins on September 18, 2017 at 12:00:01 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) and ends on February 1, 2018 at 11:59:59 p.m. PT (the “Contest Period”).
WINNERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY/RELEASE OF LIABILITY/SCHOLARSHIP ACCEPTANCE AGREEMENT PRIOR TO RECEIVING PRIZE.
- ELIGIBILITY: The PURPOSE CHALLENGE (the “Contest”) is open to U.S. high school seniors currently planning to attend college in the Fall of 2018 who are currently residing in the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are at least sixteen (16) years of age as of the date of entry. Any participant that is a minor in his or her jurisdiction of residence must have the written permission of his/her parent or guardian prior to entry and such entry shall be deemed submitted by the parent/guardian and shall be treated as if the parent/guardian had made such entry. The Greater Good Science Center at the University of California, Berkeley (“Sponsor”), ProSocial Consulting (“Administrator”), their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives, consultants, contractors, legal counsel, advertising, public relations, promotional, fulfillment, and marketing agencies, website providers, and each of their employees, officers, and directors (collectively, the “Contest Entities”), and members of their immediate families (spouses, parents, siblings and children, regardless of where they live) and those living in the same household are not eligible to enter or win. Participation constitutes participant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to Sponsor’s and/or Administrator’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest and which Sponsor and/or Administrator may decide in their sole discretion. Sponsor’s/Administrator’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
- SPONSOR/ADMINISTRATOR: Sponsor – The Greater Good Science Center at the University of California, Berkeley, 2425 Atherton Street, #6070, Berkeley, CA 94720. Administrator – ProSocial Consulting, 1625 Stanford Street, Santa Monica, CA 90404.
- HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, eligible participants may go to the submission page (located at https://purposechallenge.org/toolkit/?activity=essay-writing/enter-to-win) (the “Website”) between September 18, 2017 at 12:01 a.m. PT and February 1, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. PT and submit all required information, including valid contact information, then submit an essay (the “Essay”) of no more than 650 words that meets all the requirements set forth in the “Submission Requirements,” below (together, the “Entry”). Applicants must copy and paste their essays into the labelled field(s) and complete all of the other information required on the form. The form will (i) require the applicant to certify that he/she is a high school senior, (ii) require the applicant (and his/her parent or guardian, if applicant is a minor, to confirm that he/she/they agree to these Contest Rules, and (iii) provide contact information for the applicant. If applicant is a minor, the applicant and his/her parent or guardian will be required to upload and submit a signed consent form (provided on the Website) with the Entry.
All Essays submitted must respond to the prompts and questions set forth in the Contest Toolkit located on the Website, including a description of a personal, long-term or far-horizon goal and what motivates you to achieve it. Any Essays submitted that do not meet this requirement, are not in an acceptable format, or do not meet any other requirement specified below, will be disqualified.
- MUST be in the English language.
- MUST be copied and pasted into the appropriate field on the Contest Website. Sponsor will not accept attachments.
- MUST NOT be more than 650 words.
- MUST be the participant’s original idea (modification of an original work is not an original idea). Essays MUST NOT copy or otherwise plagiarize from any source.
- MUST NOT contain material which is (or promote activities which are) in Sponsor’s sole discretion, hateful, slanderous, libelous, tortious, sexually explicit, obscene, pornographic, inappropriate, violent, self-mutilating (e.g., relating to murder, the sales of weapons, cruelty, abuse, etc.), discriminatory (based on race, sex, religion, natural origin, physical disability, sexual orientation or age), illegal (e.g., underage drinking, substance abuse, computer hacking, etc.), offensive, threatening, profane, or harassing; or contain material that is threatening to any person, place, business, group or world peace; or contain words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group; or contain images, words or text portraying nudity, acts of violence, or acts that are or appear to be unlawful or dangerous or in violation of, or contrary to the laws or regulations in any state where the Essay was created.
- MUST NOT contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to material that violates privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement. Without limiting the foregoing, entry submissions:
- MUST NOT include third-party trademarks, logos, insignia, location signage, photographs, artwork, or sculptures, except those of Sponsor (to which participants are granted a limited scope, limited duration license solely for purposes of entry in this Contest).
- MUST NOT include mention any copyrighted media production, including but not limited to books, articles, photographs, artwork, music, etc., or identifying descriptions of any media property.
- MUST NOT include references to third parties, including but not limited to minors, celebrities and friends, who have not expressly authorized participant to display their likeness in any submitted application or otherwise use such likenesses in accordance with these Official Rules. Entrant must be prepared to provide signed third party authorizations upon request.
Upon submitting your completed Entry, you will automatically be entered with one (1) entry into the Contest. You must enter through the Website and provide all required information to be eligible to enter and win. Normal Internet access, phone, and usage charges imposed by your online or phone service may apply.
Incomplete or inaccurate entries are void. All Essays will be reviewed to ensure that they are in compliance with these Official Rules. LIMIT ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON. ADDITIONAL ENTRIES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
Essays, once submitted, cannot be revised and will not be returned.
Automated or bulk entries or entries submitted by third parties may be disqualified. Entries must be submitted by the participant (or his/her parent/guardian, if participant is a minor). No copies, facsimiles, or mechanical reproductions of the entry form will be accepted. Any attempt by any participant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple and/or different identities, forms, registrations, email addresses, logins, or any other methods will disqualify that participant’s entry, and that participant and/or entry may be disqualified. Multiple participants are not permitted to share the same email address/social media account. In the event of a dispute as to any registration, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter on Sponsor’s Website will be deemed to be the participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Potential winners may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder to the Sponsor and/or the Administrator or forfeit the prize. Entries specifying an invalid, non-working, or inactive email address will be disqualified. Incomplete, illegible, corrupted, or untimely entries will be disqualified.
- SELECTION OF WINNERS/JUDGING: All Essays will be reviewed by Sponsor’s editorial panel to make certain the content falls within the parameters under the Submission Requirements described above.All eligible entries will be reviewed by a panel of 5 judges comprising University of California at Berkeley and Claremont Graduate University professors and academic staff, who will select a group of six (6) finalists based on the following criteria (the “Judging Criteria”):
- How clearly the participant’s essay identifies and describes a long-term, far-horizon goal (25%);
- Whether that goal is personally meaningful and how well this personal connection is described in the Essay (25%);
- Whether the goal is motivated in part by a desire to contribute to the world beyond-the-self and how clearly this motivation is described in the Essay (25%); and
- How well the participant describes specific and concrete details from his or her life that illustrate his or her sense of purpose, ideally details that respond to prompts and questions in the Contest Toolkit (25%).
Essays must also pass a basic threshold for clarity of writing in order to be eligible to win, such that they can clearly convey the goals and details by which submissions will be judged, according to the four aforementioned criteria. The 6 participants whose Essays receive the highest score from the judges will be selected as the finalists, who shall potentially be eligible to win the prizes available in the Contest.
The potential Prize winners shall be selected as follows: the Essay that earned the highest score in the Judging Phase described above will be named the potential “Grand Prize” winner. The remaining 5 Essays with the next highest scores will be selected as the potential “Second Place Prize” winners.
The potential finalists/winners will be notified by email and telephone on or about Monday, March 5, 2018. Except where legally prohibited, each potential finalist/winner will be required to sign (or have his or her parent/legal guardian sign if potential winner is a minor in his or her respective jurisdiction of residence) and return, within seven (7) days of being notified, an Affidavit/Declaration of Eligibility, Liability & Publicity Release in order to claim his/her prize. If a potential winner cannot be contacted in person via email or telephone after the first attempt to contact him/her, or if he/she fails to sign and return the Affidavit/Declaration of Eligibility, Liability & Publicity Release, or any other documentation that Sponsor may require in its sole discretion, within the required time period, or in the event that a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor will award the applicable prize to an alternate winner selected in accordance with the selection criteria described above. Only three (3) alternate winners will be selected for each disqualified winner, if any, and after which any remaining prizes will remain un-awarded.
VERIFICATION OF POTENTIAL WINNERS: ALL POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY SPONSOR AND/OR ADMINISTRATOR, WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE CONTEST. A PARTICIPANT IS NOT A WINNER OF ANY PRIZE UNLESS AND UNTIL PARTICIPANT’S ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN VERIFIED AND, WHERE PARTICIPANT IS A MINOR, PARTIPICANT’S PARENT OR GUARDIAN’S CONSENT HAS BEEN OBTAINED, AND PARTICIPANT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED THAT VERIFICATION IS COMPLETE.
After verification, all 6 prize winning Essays will be posted on http://www.purposechallenge.org,for the public to read. However, if any potential winner is a minor, his/her parent or guardian will be required to sign a consent form prior to posting such winning Essay. In case of any tie, Sponsor will determine the potential winner from among the tied entrants based on voting by the 5 judges. Each judge will have one (1) vote, and will allocate his or her vote to the Essay that he or she judged to have the highest overall merit, based on the Judging Criteria described above, of the tied entries. The Essay with the most votes will be named the potential winner.
- PRIZES: Grand Prize: There will be One (1) Grand Prize awarded. The Grand Prize consists of a twenty-five thousand dollar ($25,000) scholarship. There will be five (5) Second Place Prizes, each of which consists of a five thousand dollar ($5,000) scholarship. Each scholarship will be sent directly to the winner’s undergraduate institution for application to tuition expenses for student. Total ARV of all prizes to be awarded: Fifty thousand dollars ($50,000). Limit one (1) prize per person and per household.
PRIZE RESTRICTIONS: All scholarship prizes will be paid directly to the winner’s undergraduate school. Winnings must be applied to tuition expenses. If winner’s 2018-2019 tuition is paid, the scholarship money may be applied to tuition for 2019-2020 academic year, provided that payment will be accepted by the academic institution prior to May 31, 2018. If any winner does not owe any tuition for college, –for example, because the winner withdraws from enrollment, or receives a full scholarship, or because winner has not made a decision before May 31, 2018, about which college to attend, –Sponsor may choose to determine a prize substitution at Sponsor’s sole discretion; Sponsor reserves the right to withdraw the scholarship in such circumstances and award it to an alternate winner.In the event that the scholarship prize awarded for this Contest exceeds the cost of winner’s full tuition, Student will forfeit any difference between cost of tuition and scholarship amount. The winner’s undergraduate institution must be accredited by the United States Department of Education or a state agency approved by the Department of Education to provide such approvals.
ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES AND OTHER FEES, COSTS AND EXPENSES ASSOCIATED WITH ENTRY INTO THE CONTEST AND/OR ACCEPTANCE AND USE OF EACH SCHOLARSHIP NOT EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THESE RULES ARE THE SOLE OBLIGATION OF WINNER.
No assignment, transfer or substitution of any scholarship prize is permitted by the winner and the scholarship may not be redeemed for cash; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any scholarship prize for a different prize of equal or greater value, in its sole discretion. Only the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules is available to be won in the Contest. If, by reason of a print or other error, more scholarship prizes are claimed than the number set forth in these Official Rules, prize winner(s) will be selected in accordance with the winner selection method described above from among all eligible claimants making purportedly valid claims to award the advertised number of prizes available.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: Participation constitutes participant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to Sponsor’s and/or Administrator’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Sponsor, Administrator and their agencies are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, stolen, misdirected, or illegible entries; lost, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, or other connections, telephone transmission problems, or garbled transmissions or miscommunications; computer or software malfunctions or damage to a user’s computer equipment (software or hardware); technical failures; or other errors or malfunctions of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, or otherwise. Proof of sending or submission of entry will not be deemed proof of receipt by Sponsor and/or Administrator. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY A PARTICIPANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW, AND, SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO PROSECUTE AND SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be attempting to tamper with or undermine the entry process, any website associated with the Contest, and/or the legitimate operation of the Contest; to violate the Official Rules; or to act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person.
Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any factor beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor. If, for any reason, the Contest cannot be run as planned, Sponsor may disqualify any suspect entries and (a) cancel or terminate the Contest (or any portion thereof); (b) suspend the Contest and modify the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; and/or (c) award the prizes in accordance with the winner selection criteria from among the eligible, non-suspect entries received up to the time of the impairment.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND RELEASES: BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, PARTICIPANT AGREES THAT THE CONTEST ENTITIES AND THEIR RESPECTIVE PARENT COMPANIES, AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, REPRESENTATIVES, CONSULTANTS, CONTRACTORS, LEGAL COUNSEL, ADVERTISING, PUBLIC RELATIONS, PROMOTIONAL, FULFILLMENT AND MARKETING, WEBSITE PROVIDERS, WEB MASTERS, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AGENTS (THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY PARTICIPANTS AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURIES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, OR PROPERTY RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, MISUSE, OR USE OF THE PRIZE, ENTRY, OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR IN ANY CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY, INCLUDING ACCESS TO AND USE OF ANY WEBSITE RELATED TO THE CONTEST OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SAID SITE, OR ANY CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION OR INVASION OF PRIVACY, OR MERCHANDISE DELIVERY. THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANY PRIZE CANNOT BE AWARDED DUE TO CANCELLATIONS, DELAYS, OR INTERRUPTIONS DUE TO ACTS OF GOD, ACTS OF WAR, NATURAL DISASTERS, WEATHER, OR TERRORISM.
BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, PARTICIPANT AGREES THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY INJURIES, DAMAGES, OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES TO PERSONS, INCLUDING DEATH, OR TO PROPERTY ARISING OUT OF ACCESS TO AND USE OF ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SUCH SITE.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING REGARDING THIS CONTEST, INCLUDING ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES, ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY. CHECK LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
- PUBLICITY RELEASE; INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW, PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST CONSTITUTES PARTICIPANT’S GRANT TO SPONSOR (WHICH GRANT WILL BE CONFIRMED IN WRITING ON REQUEST OF SPONSOR), AND THE RELEASED PARTIES THE RIGHT AND PERMISSION TO PRINT, PUBLISH, BROADCAST, AND USE, WORLD WIDE IN ANY MEDIA NOW KNOWN OR HEREAFTER DEVELOPED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WORLD WIDE WEB, AT ANY TIME OR TIMES, THE PARTICIPANT’S NAME, PORTRAIT, PICTURE, VOICE, LIKENESS, OPINIONS, AND BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO HOMETOWN AND STATE) FOR ADVERTISING, TRADE, AND PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF HIS OR HER NAME ON TELEVISION OR RADIO BROADCAST) WITHOUT ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATION, COMPENSATION, PERMISSION, OR NOTIFICATION.
- DISPUTES: This Contest is governed by the laws of the United States. Except where prohibited, participant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Northern District of California or the appropriate State Court located in Alameda County, California; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest not to exceed fifty US Dollars (US$50.00), but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the participant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California.
- NATURE OF RELATIONSHIP/WAIVER OF EQUITABLE RELIEF: Each participant understands and acknowledges that the Sponsor has wide access to ideas, designs, and other materials, and that new ideas are constantly being submitted to it or being developed by their own employees. Each participant also acknowledges that many ideas may be competitive with, similar or identical to the Submissions and/or each other in theme, idea, format or other respects. Each participant acknowledges and agrees that such participant will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of Sponsor’s use of any such similar or identical material. Each participant acknowledges and agrees that the Sponsor does not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of the copyright in and to the Submissions. Finally, each participant acknowledges that, with respect to any claim by participant relating to or arising out of Sponsor’s actual or alleged exploitation or use of any Submissions or other material submitted in connection with the Contest, the damage, if any, thereby caused to the applicable participant will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle such participant to seek injunctive or other equitable relief or in any way enjoin the production, distribution, exhibition or other exploitation of the Submissions or any material based on or allegedly based on the Submissions, and the participant’s rights and remedies in any such event shall be strictly limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law.
- OFFICIAL RULES AND WINNERS LIST: For a copy of the Official Rules, visit https://purposechallenge.org/official-rules or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope for receipt by February 1, 2018 to: Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley, 2425 Atherton St., #6070, Berkeley, CA 94720. For a list of winners available after April 16, 2018, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope for receipt by May 31, 2018 to: Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley, 2425 Atherton St., #6070, Berkeley, CA 94720.
Copyright ©2017 The Greater Good Science Center at University of California, Berkeley. All rights reserved.